Merida Roman bridge over the Guadiana

The bridge can be considered the focal point of the city. It connects to one of the main arteries of the colony, the Decumanus Maximus, or east-west main street typical of Roman settlements.
The location of the bridge was carefully selected at a ford of the river Guadiana, which offered as a support a central island that divides it into two channels. The original structure did not provide the continuity of the present, as it was composed of two sections of arches joined at the island, by a large Starling. This was replaced by several arcs in the 17th century after a flood in 1603 damaged part of the structure. In the Roman era the length was extended several times, adding at least five consecutive sections of arches so that the road is not cut during the periodic flooding of the Guadiana. The bridge spans a total of 792 m, making it one of the largest surviving bridges of ancient times.MERIDA_BRIDGE__IMG_1610 MERIDA_BRIDGE__IMG_1612 MERIDA_BRIDGE__IMG_1614 MERIDA_BRIDGE__IMG_1615 MERIDA_BRIDGE__IMG_1586 MERIDA_BRIDGE__IMG_1602 MERIDA_BRIDGE__IMG_1608