Welcome, my name is Hans Otten, born in Weesp near Amsterdam, now living in the south of the Netherlands with Sophie Chermin.
Sites with remains of classical antiquity times have always fascinated me. These sites, often quiet, in remote locations, or excavated in large modern cities or the stunning remains displayed in museums are the link between us and people from long gone, people that lived and thrived then and there and left their marks in history.
These pages span forty years of traveling to visit sites from antiquity and taking photographs. It started in 1975 with a trip to the south of France, where I saw Roman ruins in Nimes, Arles (revisited in 2017) and La Turbie.
Traveling continued in the next years to Italy (many times revisited since!) , Greece and Egypt and Asia, middle and far east.
After a short break to raise the kids! I continued my travels to the south of Europe and a bit further away (China, Japan, Indonesia) from 2007 and now travel with Sophie Chermin since 2011.
Pick a location from the map below! Or choose a site from the two Sitemaps menu entries in the menu on the top.
I hope you enjoy my and Sophie’s photographs of the sites and little artefacts like tickets and postcards and leaflets, and some stories, mostly stolen from wikipedia. Note that most of the photos come from my larger collection of travel photography: http://reizen.hansotten.nl. There all locations we visit on our trips are documented.
This site also show the progress in equipment.
From 1975 to around 2000 I used analogue camera’s, especially the Praktika XL SLR with lenses wide 29mm, normal 50 mm and telelens 125mm. I made slides, mostly on Agfa material. Digitized in the years 2000-2012.
In 2002 a Casio QV4000 was bought, and for my travel to China in 2007 a Canon Powershot A710IS.
In 2009 a Canon S90 took the main place, I still have and use regularly that little perfect camera!
2010 saw the arrival of a Canon 1000D DSLR with standard and 250mm zoom, 2012 the Canon G1 X. A Canon 1200D DSL was added in 2013 with 18-133 mm zoom, and Sophie used a Canon Powershot S95.
In 2016 my collection of Canon lenses was put to good usage with the semi professional Canon 70D DSLR and a Canon 100D DSLR with 18-55 mm for Sophie.
A list of years and destinations:
- 1975 South of France, Nimes, La Turbie, Arles
- 1976 Rome Naples Pompeii Paestum
- 1977 Istanbul Agia Sophia
- 1978 Mainland of Greece
- 1979 Yugoslavia Split
- 1983 Egypt
- 1983 Rhodos Crete
- 1984 Rhodos Kos
- 2002 Borger Hunebedden
- 2007 China, Xian, Shanghai Museum
- 2008 Jordan Amman, Jerash, Aqaba, Damascus Museum
- 2008 Turkey
- 2009 Italy Rome Orvieto
- 2010 Japan Museum Tokyo
- 2010 Berlin Pergamon Neues Altes Museum
- 2011 Malta Neolithic Sicily Taormina
- 2011 Portugal Conimbriga
- 2012 Florence Fiesole
- 2012 Sicily Paestum Naples Herculaneum
- 2013 Ahrtal Bad Neuenahr
- 2013 Spain Merida, Sevilla
- 2013 Rome
- 2014 Portugal , Sevilla Museum
- 2014 Naples Pompeii Paestum Herculaneum, Capua, Pozzuoli, Oplontis
- 2014 Trier
- 2015 United Kingdom Bath, Hadrians Wall, Stonehenge
- Various museums in the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium 2011-2019
- 2019 Dresden, Kassel, Saalburg, Germany
This site started life in October 2015 and was feature complete with 300 pages in March 2016. Last update December 2022, see the blog for recent additions.
- Alphabetic list
- Nemausus (Nîmes)
- Pont du Gard
- Tropaeum Alpium, La Turbie
- Aachen Aquae Granni
- Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium
- Eifelmuseum Mayen
- Kelten Römer Museum
- Landesmuseum Vorgeschichte
- LVR-Landesmuseum Bonn
- Museuminsel Berlin
- Assyrian, Sumerian and Babylonian culture in Pergamon museum
- Babylon Ishtar Gate, King Nebuchadnezzar II in Pergamon museum
- Berlin Museuminsel Altes Museum
- Greek and Roman Art in Pergamon museum
- Greek temple in Pergamon museum
- Islamic art and Mshatta facade in Pergamon museum
- Millletus market gate in Pergamon museum
- Neues museum
- Zeus Altar in Pergamon museum
- Piesport wine press
- Romervilla Bad Neuenahr
- Schloss Wilhelmshöhe Antikensammlung
- Villa Borg
- Villa Nennig
- Villa Otrang
- Matera museum
- Museo archeologico nazionale di Firenze
- Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Napoli
- Museo dell’ Accademia Etrusca e città di Cortona
- Oplontis Villa Poppaea
- Orvieto Archaeological Museum
- Ostia Antica
- Pozzuoli amfithatre
- Amphitheatrum Flavium Colosseum
- Ara Pacis
- Arco di Costantino
- Castel Sant’Angelo
- Circus Maximus
- Forum Boarium, Theatre of Marcellus and Porticus Octaviae
- Forum Romanum
- Musei Capitolini
- Palazzo Altemps
- Palazzo Massimo alle Terme
- Pons Aemilius
- Rome Largo di Torre Argentina
- Terme di Caracalla
- Thermae Diocletiani
- Vatican Museum
- Villa Hadriana
- Walls of Rome
- Japan National Museum Tokyo
- My sites
- Syrie National Museum Damascus
- United Kingdom